Home For The Holidays With Four Roses Bourbon
As soon as there is a little nip in the air, we get a craving for “brown liquor,” you know, whiskey, scotch, cognac, brandy, etc. In the South, the brown liquor of choice is (of course) bourbon. So you can imagine our delight when we were invited to participate in a “Home for the Holidays” Challenge with none other than our favorite Four Roses Bourbon.
What Southern Thanksgiving is not complete without a pecan pie for dessert? Over the years, however, Thanksgiving at our home has taken on an open house format with friends, family and college kids dropping in and out, which necessitates a more portable and individually-sized dessert portion – enter the hand pie! Hand pies are a popular staple across the South, found at church bake sales, school picnics and in grandma’s kitchen. And, unlike full-sized pies, hand pies can be conveniently stored and saved for later. Thus, without further ado:
Four Roses Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Hand Pies
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
For the Filling:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons Four Roses Bourbon
- 1 ½ cups pecans
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt (or more to taste)
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add cold butter that has been cut into pieces and cut together until the dough resembles very coarse meal. Add 1/4 cup ice water; and mix, adding more water if too dry, until dough comes together in clumps. Form the dough into 2 squares being careful not to over-mix. Wrap the dough in plastic, and chill until the dough is firm, about 2 hours.
- Flour your work surface, and roll out 1 disk of the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using a small pot lid or plate (5 1/2 to 6 inches) as a template, cut out as many dough rounds as possible. Repeat with the second disk of dough. Reroll the scraps, chilling if necessary, to make as many rounds as possible.
- Slightly beat eggs and add corn syrup, sugar, butter and 2 teaspoons of the bourbon. Stir the mixture until well blended. Fold in pecans and chocolate chips are stir to thoroughly coat with syrup without breaking up pecans too much.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Pour the pecan filling into the pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until set. Let cool slightly, then scrape the pecan filling into a bowl and add the remaining 1 teaspoon of bourbon. Gently stir the pecan mixture to fully recombine and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Working with one baking sheet at a time, scoop a scant 1/4 cup of the pecan filling onto each round and fold the pastry over to make a turnover. Press the edges to seal and crimp with the tines of a floured fork. Refrigerate the hand pies while you prepare the rest.
- Using a sharp knife, make a small slit in the top of each pie. Bake the pies in the middle and lower thirds of the oven for 40 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown; shift the pans halfway through baking. Let the pies cool on the baking sheets before serving.
- The cooked pies can be refrigerated for up to 4 days and should be rewarmed before serving.
Don’t forget to serve these tasty treats with some Four Roses Bourbon served over ice or in your coffee!
Need more inspiration? Check out these great recipes with Four Roses Bourbon from my friends:
Bourbon Sweet Potato and Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms – Taste & Savor
Hot Apple Cider- Britt’s Blurbs
Homemade Vanilla Bourbon Extract – We Like To Cook!
Fig-flavored Bourbon – Sweet Savant
Bourbon Cream Scallops – Front Porch Gourmet
Bourbon Spiked Corn Pudding – The Cardigan Kitchen
At Home with Four Roses Bourbon – Atlanta Food Critic
Bourbon Apple Crisp – Shana Was Here
Bourbon Honey Baked Salmon – Red Velvet Confections
Bourbon Banana French Toast with Bourbon Maple Syrup – Beef & Chocolate
Pumpkin Butter Bread Pudding – Jehan Can Cook
Four Roses Bourbon Mushrooms – Kitchen Man Can
Four Roses Pecan Pie – Do.Food.Better.
Bourbon Bacon Brussels Sprouts – The Sophisticated Caveman
Bourbon Bananas Foster – Diva Foodies
Disclosure: We participated in this challenge as a member of the Atlanta Food Bloggers’ Society. While we received a complimentary bottle of Four Roses Bourbon, all content herein is original and any opinions included are honest and unsolicited.